Monday, August 13, 2012

Basic Granola Bars

I love granola bars – they are quick to grab when you are on the run (in the morning or when I am going out to the playground with my kids), brilliant for that "I need something right now" snack in the afternoon (I work 10 hours a day, so I really do need something small). My kids love them as well, as they are sweet and come in great varieties.

I usually make my own rather then purchase them. They are quick to make, have no preservatives and unknown ingredients (you know what I say: If you cannot pronounce it, it is most likely not natural and should not go into our boddies)– oh, and you will find that they are not too heavy on your budget too.

I have a few basic granola bar recipes. Here is one that I like to make which has peanut butter, oats and honey, and whatever the kitchen holds.

Prep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. Yield: 20

1/2cup natural peanut butter
 1/3 cup honey
 1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
 3-1/2 cups old-fashioned oats
 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
 3/4 teaspoon salt
1   cup semisweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl mix the first 4 ingredients together. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well (the batter will be rather sticky).

Transfer to a 25 by 30 cm (or there off… honestly, I have no idea what the size is, I have one dish that I can adjust to my needs) that has been laid out with baking paper. Bake at 175C for 12-15 minutes or until set and edges are lightly browned. Cool on a wire rack. Cut into bars.

You will enjoy these, and make them again, and again and again... you get the point :)

Variations:
Exchange the half cup of oats with wheat germs.
Exchange the peanut butter with Nutella (or something like that)
Exchange the chocolate chips with nuts and fruits (or just reduce the quantity used)
You can dunk the finished bars in melted chocolate to make them look like the stuff you get in shops
In place of the chocolate chips and 1/3 cup of oats, I used 1 cup of dry crushed, crispy cereal.
If you want them crunchier, just cut them into bar size, put them on a cookie sheet and back them again at 175C for another 15 minutes
Varieties are seriously endless.

2 comments: